Security Deposit Account

A security deposit is a deposit the landlord requires that tenants make, in order to cover any unpaid rent and/or damage to a rented flat/house. The deposit is normally made to a security deposit account.

How to open a security deposit account

The tenant and the landlord must be customers of DNB and landlord must order the account from internet banking. 


More information about how to become a customer.

Set-up fee

Internet banking
NOK 500

Branch office
NOK 1250

Price list
Conditions (pdf)

This is what you need

• Electronic copy of the signed lease.
• The address of the rental housing. 
• Name, e-mail and phone number of the tenant. 
• The landlord must inform us from which DNB current account the set-up fee can be charged.

Information about the security deposit account

• The tenant must be at least 18 years old. 
• Both the tenant and the landlord must be customers of DNB. 
• The tenant owns the account and receives earned interest. 
• Withdrawals cannot be made from the account. 
• The deposit cannot exceed the equivalent of six months' rent. 
• The set-up fee must be paid by the landlord. 
• Landlord can request deduction of the unpaid rent without tenant’s consent only if there is a written agreement that the tenant must pay rent to the landlord's account in DNB.

How to close a security deposit account

When the lease is terminated/expires, you can send a termination webform from your internet bank.

How do I close a security deposit account?

The written consent of the landlord is required in order for the money in a security deposit account to be released. We recommend that both the landlord and the tenant complete separate termination forms online, regardless of whether or not there are any claims on the deposit. These web forms can be submitted from the internet bank. Use this link to log in and go straight to the form:

How long will it take from the time I close the security deposit account until I have the money in my account?

If the landlord has no claim on the deposit, the money will be paid to the tenant as soon as the landlord has requested that the money in the deposit account is released.

The landlord and the tenant disagree on the distribution of the deposit amount. What now

For the landlord: 
Submit a web form from your internet bank including the following information: 
• The security deposit account number 
• The date the tenancy ended 
• Any amount owed, any overdue rent and the period for which this applies 
• Your account number for receiving rent payments 
• Your account number for receiving claims payments 
For the tenant: 
Submit a web form from your internet bank including the following information: 
• The security deposit account number 
• The date the tenancy ended
• The distribution of the security deposit amount
• Your account number for receiving the deposit amount, if relevant The bank will send a written notification letter to the counterparty with a deadline for replying.

I disagree with the decision and want to file a claim. Where should I report the case?

For rented dwellings in Oslo, in the county of Trøndelag, or in some municipalities in the counties of Vestland and Viken, claims should be filed with the Rent Disputes Tribunal (HTU). 
• This applies to the following municipalities in Vestland: Alver, Austrheim, Askøy, Austevoll, Bergen, Bjørnafjorden, Bømlo, Eidfjord, Etne, Fedje, Fitjar, Kvam, Kvinnherad, Masfjorden, Modalen, Osterøy, Samnanger, Stord, Sveio, Tysnes, Ullensvang, Ulvik, Vaksdal, Voss and Øygarden 
• And the following municipalities in Viken: Asker, Aurskog-Høland, Bærum, Eidsvoll, Enebakk, Frogn, Gjerdrum, Hurdal, Lillestrøm, Lørenskog, Nannestad, Nes, Nesodden, Nittedal, Nordre Follo, Rælingen, Ullensaker, Vestby and Ås. 
For rented dwellings in other counties and commercial premises, claims are to be filed with the Court of Conciliation.